You might have heard the term ‘withers’ when trying to get an exact length of your dog, perhaps trying to measure how big your dog is and whether he would be able to drink his water bowl from the said height. In this case, you might be confused about it and might wonder about what are the withers on a dog?
This article will be dealing with the topic of withers on a dog and how you could use it to carefully and precisely measure out how big your dog is. Keep reading below to know more!
What are the Withers on a Dog
What are the withers on a dog? Withers on a dog refers to the area above the shoulder of a dog, this is used to measure the height of a dog from the ground up. Essentially, withers are the tallest point of a dog, withers can be used to differentiate different breeds of dogs along with their abilities as to how much they can run, jump etc..
Withers on a dog can also be used to measure their exact height by professionals such as animal veterinarians.
Where are the withers on a dog
While you may know what are the withers on a dog, you might be wondering about the exact position of the withers on a dog. Withers on a dog sits directly above their shoulder blade, in simple terms, the ridge located between the shoulder blades of a dog behind their neck are withers of a dog.
In this way, if you ever have your dog participate in an event or even a race, you may know about how to measure the height of your dog by knowing where the withers on the dog are exactly located.
Are withers good or bad for dog
Withers are an essential part of a dog’s anatomy and therefore are not inherently harmful. On the contrary, the withers on a dog can be helpful for measuring their height in an accurate way.
Why are withers exactly good for dogs? What are their benefits?
These are some of the following:
- Withers can be used for measuring the exact size of a dog’s bed. If you are looking to buy a bed for your dog, then you may just need to know about how big your dog is and buy the bed according to the specifications of your dog’s height, hence you can measure your dog’s height from the ground up to the withers to get an accurate estimate.
- For training purposes. If your everyday regimen includes physical exercises for your dog, then you may require your dog’s height for getting the accurately measured exercising instruments essential for your dog.
- For shows. If you are making your dog participate in a show, then the show itself may just require your dog’s height, this is where you can use the withers on your dog to make an accurate measurement of your dog’s height and keep the data for later usage for different events and shows.
- For abnormalities or medical conditions. Withers on a dog can also be at times used for knowing whether the dog has a birth defect or has a certain medical condition.
- For knowing the breed of your dog. Withers can also be measured to know as to which type of breed your dog is, this can be useful when trying to figure out whether your dog belongs to a strong breed or is on the weaker side.
These are just some of the ways you can use withers on your dog for good. There are technically no negatives to withers on a dog.
How to accurately measure withers on a dog?
While you may know what are the withers on a dog and whether are withers on a dog good or bad. You might still be wondering about how to accurately measure withers on a dog.
By itself, measuring withers on a dog can be a simple or complicated process depending on how much the owner knows about the withers on a dog. Usually, for the measurement of withers on a dog, a U-shaped device called Wicket is used.
A wicket is mainly used in professional shows for dogs as the cost of a single wicket can be around $1000 or even more depending on the kind of wicket being used.
For those who are not really willing to splurge this amount of money on an official wicket, then there may be alternatives you can try such a pipe like the plumbing pipe, or do the measuring the good ol’ fashioned way and use a measuring tape for cheap and convenient purposes in measuring the withers on a dog.
There are two types of measuring in which withers can be used such as:
- Measuring the height of a dog: This is where you can use a measuring tape or a similar object to make a measurement from the ground to the withers of a dog (the ridge on the top sitting between shoulder blades of a dog). This is mainly required for either measuring the size of how big your dog is, for getting a dog bed made and alike.
- Measuring from the withers to the chest/breast bone: This is essential for measuring as to how strong your dog is, you can use a measuring tape to measure the wither to the chest/breast bone, this is essential for knowing how strong your dog is and can be used to know whether they will be able to do some strong pulling work.
Simply put, the next time you wonder about how to accurately measure withers on a dog, your best friend will be a measuring tape more than anything else, unless you have made your dog participate in a show. In which case, your dog’s withers will be measured with the official Wicket device to get a better estimate.
What are the withers on a dog? Withers on a dog can be used for a variety of purposes such as for knowing how strong they are as in their strength as well as get an accurate measurement of their height. The next time you are asked to measure the height of your dog, simply use a measuring tape from the ground up to the withers on your dog.