If you have recently started to notice that your dog has been rather anxious and is refusing to take a rest that would obviously be a worrisome behaviour that would make you question as to why my dog is restless and won’t sit still
A dog who is unable to rest and is always going around places means they are in a state of possible distress, but why would that be? This article will be dealing with exactly the reasons as to why your dog is restless. Keep reading below to know all about this!
My dog is restless and won't sit still
My dog is restless and won’t sit still, this question can arise in the minds of many owners of their dogs if they see their dog behaving in a restless manner. There can be many reasons for such a change in your dog, some of them are:
- They are in pain: Pain is often the most likely reason for a dog being restless at various times and hence is unable to sit still. It might be that they have sprained their limbs, have suffered an injury of sorts. In such a case, the best way to get your dog to sit still is try and see if they have gotten any injury and treat it as soon as possible.
- They are anxious or excited. Dogs can also become restless due to feeling various emotions such as stress or excitement, your dog may feel excited due to perhaps the thought of going to a new place or a place they prefer (day-care or alike), they will also feel anxious due to your absence or at the thought of going to a place they particularly are not fond of. In all these cases, your dog will pace around restlessly and may refuse to sit still at a place.
- They might have ingested or smelled something toxic. Your dog may have ingested or even smelled something toxic and now are feeling the effects of the poison. The licking of a Sonoran Desert Toad can often poison a dog and cause them to feel the terrible side effects of it. If you see your dog possibly holding a Sonoran Desert toad, then the thing you should immediately do is wash your dog’s mouth thoroughly, most preferably with a garden hose if possible.
My dog is restless and won’t sit still, this can be due to your dog feeling the effects of a poison, hence try to get them to a vet as soon as possible if you are unable to treat them at home.
- They might be bored. In some cases, little to none activity for a dog can cause them to start moving around in hopes of doing something worthwhile, your dog might just be possibly bored and is looking for some fun activity to do.
- They have caught a scent of something that is not usually meant to be. In worst case scenarios, your dog may have caught a scent of something that is not meant to be in your house, it could be something harmless… Or might be indicate something much worse as it could be an indication of a possible intruder being in house that is agitating your dog.
Why my dog is restless and won’t sit still? In most cases, your dog might just be behaving as such due to behavioral issues such as some listed above, it could even be as small as simply fleas resting in your dog’s body and annoying them as a result.
In worst case scenarios, they may indicate a possible danger to your house or a medical condition such as brain tumor or a kidney disease. If you suspect that your dog is having medical symptoms and might need a deeper look, then make sure to take them to an animal vet as soon as possible.
How can I help my dog with restlessness?
If your dog is experiencing symptoms due to pain or perhaps emotions, then the best you can do is try and alleviate the pain they might be experiencing from perhaps an injury by treating it with a with a cold wrap and using the meds or treatment as prescribed by a vet.
Otherwise, if your dog has the habit of staying with you and suffers from separation anxiety from you possibly going outside or leaving them in a day-care, then you can try playing with them as soon as come back and meet them. Or you may try to find a dog day-care which your dog may enjoy and play around in.
You can also look for fleas residing inside the fur of your dog as fleas are often known to make house inside the fluffy depths of a dog and this may cause them to become restless and move around without sitting still.
Otherwise, any medical issues such as a failing kidney or conditions such as Canine Bloat which happens due to the sudden inhalation of extreme amounts of gas, air and consumption of food may cause your dog to walk around restlessly without sitting still.
Canine Bloat in particular can be a lethal condition for your dog as it causes the twisting of the insides of a stomach due to the gas building from drinking or eating too fast for a dog, this can be alleviated by making sure your dog eats their food or drinks water slowly.
If otherwise you can’t find the reason for why your dog might be restless, then the most prudent decision would be to bring your dog to a vet as soon as possible as otherwise whatever they are facing might turn out to be eventually fatal for them.
Why my dog is restless and won’t sit still? You will have to work a bit harder as a dog owner to find out the reason for such as some of those listed above can be essential for both you and your dog.