Pomegranate is a delicious fruit that contains edible seeds called arils. Pomegranate are a perfect balance between being sweet and tart. Pomegranate does not contain cholesterol and saturated fat.
Pomegranate is very nutritionally dense food for humans, but how good they are for Dogs. Can Dogs Eat Pomegranate? Are They Safe For Dogs? What Are The Benefits?
Can Dogs Eat Pomegranate?
Yes and No, dogs do can eat Pomegranate, though it should be noted that eating raw Pomegranate along with consuming the seeds can cause bad effects for your dog such as diarrhoea and vomiting.
Pomegranate belongs to the family Lythraceae, subfamily Punicoideae. Pomegranate is a non-toxic fruit that is very rich in antioxidants, fibre, potassium, folic acid, and vitamin. Pomegranate also has some amount of sugar.
Can Dogs Eat Pomegranate - What Are The Benefits
- The fibre content in the Pomegranate will help you keep your dog healthy and protected from harmful toxins.
- Vitamin C helps to boost immunity. Also reduces the chances of your dog getting sick and prevent it from getting any other sort of diseases.
- Pomegranate extract can have a positive effect on dog heart health, this is beneficial for keeping your dog healthy and active.
- Antioxidants can help prevent the extreme cell damage caused by free radicals, this ensures that the risk of getting diseases such as heart disease or cancer is greatly reduced.
- Fiber helps in digesting food properly, resulting in better bowel movement.
- Pomegranates are good for heart diseases since they are high in antioxidants
- Pomegranate have Anti-inflammatory properties which helps to reduce swelling which can be beneficial in Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Pomegranates can also be potentially effective at Cancer prevention, although studies are still going on in that aspect.
Can Dogs Eat Pomegranate Seeds?
The Pomegranate seeds are especially harmful for your dogs and you try to avoid giving it to them. Pomegranate seeds are not safe for dogs. There is a good reason for that, Pomegranate seeds contain tannins. Tannins can cause stomach problem which tend to result in aforementioned issues of extreme diarrhoea.
The digestive system of dogs is different from the human digestive system, the peel of Pomegranate is also not safe, even feeding your dog dry seeds is not advisable.
Since the seeds are too small,they can act as choking hazard for your dog as they are unable to chew them, resulting in them easily swallowing it.
So, Can Dogs Eat Pomegranate Seeds? No, while pomegranate is safe for dogs in small amounts, seeds are not.
Can Dogs Eat Pomegranate Arils
Arils are sweet juice filled pulp for which Pomegranates are known for. They are safe for dogs because the watering content in them makes dogs healthier and prevent diseases, the arils have high nutritional benefits for dogs, they contain fibre, high amounts of vitamin C, vitamin K, cholesterol and they are full of antioxidants.
Keep in mind that pomegranate seed should be not given, and only the fleshy, juicy part of seed arils can be given to dogs as they are safe.
Pomegranate is good for health, but as always, you should know about what kind of allergy your dog has, and always consult your vet doctor before your dog anything you are unsure about.
Just remember, whatever sort of way you give pomegranates to your dog,they should be in small amounts and not in large quantities, otherwise, it may cause various kind of problems for your dog.
What do you think? Can dogs eat Pomegranate? Yes, but only in moderation.